Official website of the Victorian Eastern Region of the Australian Alpaca Association Ltd.

The Australian Alpaca Association Ltd.

Victorian Eastern Region of the Australian Alpaca Association Ltd.

Property Identification Codes (PICs) - Not just for Shows

In 2013 it became a legal requirement to include your Property Identification Code on the health declaration forms when attending any Agricultural Shows.

Due to a high number of enquiries received and new applications for PICs, we realised that many members may not be aware that EVERY owner of alpacas, regardless of numbers are required by law to have a Property Identification Code.

What are Property Identification Codes and why do we need one?

A Property Identification Code or PIC is an eight character code allocated by the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) or equivalent authority in other states/territories, to identify a livestock producing property.

The purpose of property identification is partly for tracing and controlling disease and residue problems that may be detected after leaving the farm, but also for locating properties and owners that have livestock when an outbreak of a disease, that may threaten their enterprise is detected in an area.

Who should have a PIC?

If you have livestock, you are required by law to have a PIC for the properties on which you graze livestock. Livestock are cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, camelids (as in alpacas or llamas) deer, horses or more than 100 poultry or 10 emus or ostriches.

All livestock businesses (saleyards, cattle scales, abattoirs, knackeries and stock agents) must also have a PIC.

Horse owners running horses on their own property and owners of properties where horses are agisted are also required to have a PIC.

Anyone you sell alpacas to even just for pets are also required to have a PIC code. It is not our responsibility to check that they have one, but it is our responsibility to inform them of the requirement of PICs and how to obtain one.

If you do not already have a PIC, then please apply using the form available from: http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agriculture/farm-management/property-identification-codes